EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH THE LEGENDARY DJ BRIAN FURIOUS FRAZIER

               
The Legendary Brian Furious Frazier has been in the music industry since the age of six.  He is a musician, dj, promoter, and producer. The Legendary Brian Furious Frazier is a true legend to the Chicago House Music Scene.  He is definitely, someone to watch in 2011.



Question:  When did you get started in the music scene?


Answer:  I first got started in the music scene as a drummer. I have been playing the drums since the age of six years old. I started off with the Henry Horner Bugle Corp. I also played drums for Red Foxx, Willie Clayton, Next Movement and a band called Midnight Sun.  My first drum set was donated by Freddie White, the drummer of Earth, Wind and Fire.


Question:  How did you get into djing?


Answer:  It was my eighth grade graduation and the dj didn’t show up for the party. The club owner told me to go put some music on and that was it. History was made.


Question:  What was your first paid djing gig?


Answer:  My first paid dj gig was at Robeson High School. I did a sock hop for the school.



Question:   How would you describe your djing style to people?


Answer:  My style is more Jazz, R&B and Funk blended together. My blending is very important to me and that is due to fact of my musical background as a drummer.



Question:  When did you first fall in love with house music?


Answer:   I first fell in love with house music in 1980. I was fascinated with mixing. I saw Ralphi Rosario and Terrible Ted mixing and that inspired me to learn how to mix. I actually taught myself how to mix.


Question:   Who were some of our musical influences?


Answer:   Well some of my musical influences are Earth, Wind and Fire, Stanley Clark, Spyra Gyra, Gino Vanelli, Boney James, Frankie Knuckles, Derrick Norflett, Farley Jackmaster Funk, Mike Dunn, Andre Hathett, Terry Hunter, Wayne Williams, Walter Brown, Sam Chatman, Greg Winfield, just to name a few.


Question:  Who are some of the artists in the music industry, you would like to work with in the future if given the opportunity?


Answer:  I would like to work with Maurice White of Earth Wind and Fire. Maurice White’s mother was actually my kindergarten teacher.  I would also like to work with Byron Stingley, Lalah Hathaway, Mike Dunn, and Reggie Hall.



Question:  You were a dj on WKKC Radio Station during the forefront of house music, and how was that experience?


Answer:  The experience was wonderful. We were able to play music that WBMX wasn’t playing. WBMX had to be radio friendly; meaning they had to play a lot of familiar records. With WKKC, we were able to play new music. We could play underground, disco, and classic house music. And that made a little station a big station. We were also being compared to WBMX, but we just didn’t have the same wattage. Our first mix show was Friday Night Audio, and Pink House was the first host. Most of the djs that were on WKKC have moved on and is now on mainstream radio today. WKKC was a big melting pot for talent.


Question:  Who were some of the djs at WKKC during that time?

                                                                                      
Answer:  Some of the djs I worked with at WKKC were Al Greer, James Kelly, Barbeque Bobby, Greg Winfield, Hugo Hutchinson, Sam Sylk, Chrissy Henderson(The First Lady), Walter Brown, Sheldon Reese, Lloyd Bowman, Reggie Miles, Mike Brown, Guy Black, Kevin Brown, and many more..


Question: What is your most memorable moment in your career?


Answer:  My most memorable moment was djing at the Taste of Chicago with Earth, Wind and Fire, Ramonsky Luv, and Big Daddy Woo Woo (Tornado).


Question:  What was the best advice that was given to you?


Answer:  The best advice that was given to me was always stay true to what you believe in; that was my music.


Question:  How did you get into producing?


Answer:  I got into producing by being around musicians and seeing how the industry works. That inspired me to take my craft to another level.


Question:  When you aren’t busy djing and promoting; what do you like to do in your free time?


Answer:  Honestly, I don’t have a lot of free time. Between family and music there isn’t any free time for me.



Question:  What are your thoughts on Vinyl verses the mixing software?


Answer:  I love vinyl, but the times have changed and you have to go with the times.  With the mixing software you don’t have to acquire the same skill level that was needed when djing with vinyl. So that is one of the downsides to the mixing software.



Question:  How do you feel about House Music becoming more digital? Do you think that hurt or help the house music industry?


Answer: I think it helps the House Music Industry because we are now able to expose a new audience to the music. This enables more people to discover house music on a broader scene.


Question:  If you could change one thing about the house music industry, what would it be?


Answer:  I would change the approach that djs are taking to get into industry today. Back in the day, you had to know someone or either you had to play on a set with someone that was known in order to get recognized. It wasn’t easy getting gigs to play in the clubs.  The club owners would actually screen and audition the djs before you could play in their club.



Question:  There is alot of young fresh talent out there waiting to be discovered.  What do they have to do for getting recognized and promoted?


Answer:  They need to just stay true to the art and find their own identity. There are a lot of djs out here, but you have to discover your own identity and that will separate you.  Anyone can play music, but how do you play it.


Question: There is an undeniable lack of support for house music these days, especially from radio stations. Why do you think the radio stations aren’t embracing house music anymore?


Answer:  I believe mainstream radio stations aren’t embracing house music because of the money factor. House music is independent.  Most djs and producers of house music are doing it because of the love of the music. Also, the younger generation is more into hip hop. Therefore, House Music doesn’t provide the revenue that radio stations are looking for.


Question:  What do you see in the future of house music?


Answer:  I see House Music becoming more global in the future. House Music has become universal. It brings people together, all for the love of the music.  For many years, house music had declined in popularity. But for the last five years, house music has risen again.  I see house music expanding even more in the future.  I give homage to the all the djs that continued to play the music when it was on the decline.



Question:  Have you any plans (personal or business) that you can share with us about your future plans or goals?


Answer:  My future plans are to launch a house music label.  The name of my record label will be House of Wax Productions.  I intend on backing off of djing and lean more toward producing.



Question:  Is there anything else, you would like to share with us?


Answer:  Yes, I think that the House community should be more open to new house music. The music I played years ago was new; when I first played it. The Classics are good but there is new house music that needs to be discovered. Stop waiting for another dj to play a record before you start playing it. You can make it hot...Also, I would like to thank Reggie Hall, my wife Cassandra, Greg Winfield, Terry Hunter, Audrey Crickett and you(Mz. House Diva).



Thank you for the interview and much success in all your future endeavors.


Interviewed by: Mz House Diva
Peace, Love and House



1 comment:

  1. Great article!! Look fwd to spinni WQ/ You in the Future Brian...Happy NY and continued success Bro!! DJ Teddyray

    ReplyDelete